Hi, I am Jason, a 1st-year PhD student @UMD HCIL, working with Prof. Joel Chan.
Technological innovations and unprecedented challenges like global pandemic are dramatically changing the way people work. In the face of increasing automation and artificial intelligence in workplace and in society, we need to rethink the role of people and their relationships to technology. As an HCI researcher, I am passionate about investigating how to augment and enhance people’ performance in human-centered and creative tasks with which automation typically falls short.
Over the past two years, I have worked as a researcher in the UCSD Design Lab, working with Prof. Steven Dow and Dr. Stephen MacNeil. The research that I am currently doing led to papers accepted to CHI, CSCW, UIST, C&C and CHIIR. You could contact me by email: zding at ucsd dot edu | Resume
Full Conference Papers:
- S. MacNeil, Z. Ding, A. Boone, A. B. Grubbs, S. P. Dow. Finding Place in a Design Space: Chal- lenges for Supporting Community Design Efforts at Scale. In Proceedings of the 2021 Conference of Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW’21), Online, 2021.
- S. MacNeil, Z. Ding, K. Quan, T. J. Parashos, Y. Sun, S. P. Dow. Framing Creative Work: Helping Novices Frame Better Problems through Interactive Scaffolding. In Proceedings of the 2021&2022 Conferences on Creativity and Cognition (C&C’21&22), Online, 2021.
- S. Palani, Z. Ding, A. Nguyen, A. Chuang, S. MacNeil, S. P. Dow. CoNotate: Suggesting Queries Based on Notes Promotes Knowledge Discovery. In Proceedings of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’21), Online, 2021.
- R. Chang, Q. Wang, Z. Ding. Revolutionizing Urban Energy Planning: A Roadmap Towards City-level Energy Modelling in Australia. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Con- struction Project Management and Construction Engineering (iCCPMCE’18), Sydney, Australia. (Best Paper)
- Q. Wang, S. Zhang, D. Wei, Z. Ding. Additive Manufacturing (AM): A Revolutionized Power for Construction Industrialization. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Construc- tion and Real Estate Management (ICCREM’18), Charleston, USA. (Best Paper)
Short Conference Papers:
- S. MacNeil, Z. Ding, K. Quan, Z. Huang, K. Chen, S. P. Dow. ProbMap: Automatically Construct- ing Design Galleries through Feature Extraction and Semantic Clustering. In Adjunct Proceedings of the 2021 Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST’21 Demo), Online, 2021.
- S. Palani, Z. Ding, S. MacNeil, S. P. Dow. The “Active Search” Hypothesis: How Search Strategies Relate to Creative Learning. In Proceedings of the 2021 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval (CHIIR’21 Poster), Online, 2021.
- S. Chang, Q. Wang, H. Hu, Z. Ding, H. Guo. An NNwC MPPT-Based Energy Supply Solution for Sensor Nodes in Buildings. Energies, 12(1), 1-20.
- R. Chang, Q. Wang, Z. Ding. How is the Energy Performance of Buildings Assessed in Australia? A Comparison between four Evaluation Systems. International Journal of Structural and Civil Engineering Research, 8(2), 133-137.
About My University Experience
Below is an interview of me, named “How to make the most use of your university experience“. It was published in Jan 2018 and until Jun 2019 it has 43,500+ views on YouTube. Honestly, every one has regrets and so do I – I never thought I did make the most use of my undergraduate experience. Luckily, I am still in a university now and have the chance to fulfill myself.